Gerald Graham Alderson FRCS 1884 - 1961
Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS)
Gerald Graham Alderson was born in Jesmond, Newcastle on Tyne in 1884, the son of John, a lumber merchant, and Jane Isabella Alderson. He attended Durham School and later won a place at Caius College Cambridge where he took a first class honours in the Natural Sciences Tripos of 1906 and was appointed a Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians (LRCP).
He was appointed a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS) in 1909 and Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBCh.) in 1910, being appointed a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS) in July 1912.
During this period he worked at University College Hospital, London, where he was obstetric registrar, St Thomas Hospital, London and at hospitals in Berlin and Vienna.
At the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 he immediately volunteered to join the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) as an officer cadet. He was gazetted as a Lieutenant on probation in September 1914 and posted to France. He was made full Lieutenant in July 1915 and by the beginning of 1918 had achieved the rank of acting Major. He was demobbed in 1919 having been awarded the Victory Medal and 1916 Star.
During this time he married Marguerite Norah Pasteur (b. 1893, d. 1962) the wedding taking place at St Andrews Marylebone, London, on June 4 1917. They had three children:
The first child – Raymond Pasteur Alderson, b 1918 London, died in Libya in 1942 whilst serving with the Friends Ambulance Unit attached to the Free French Army.
The second son – John Jeffrey Alderson b 1921 Warwickshire d. 1933 Warwickshire (age 12).
Their third son, Jeffrey Gerald Alderson b. 7 June 1934 in Leamington Spa.
The family moved to Warwickshire in 1920, firstly to Leamington when Gerald became a surgeon at Warneford Hospital, later moving to Dudley House,